Friday, March 14, 2014

My Latest Alabaster Stone Carving - Part 1

Had a great meeting today with the couple, Steve and Jane, on the stone carving I am creating for them. They purchased two of my bronze sculptures, The Glassblower and The Stone Sculptor. Jane and Steve told me what they were looking for in the stone, so I did a drawing once I got the stone and emailed it to them.

They had some concerns about the drawing which is why we met today. Along with the sketch I sent them, I also showed them the clay model I made. I always do a clay maquette before I start carving as it is easier for me to see what to carve.

They loved the piece, just wanted the figure to be slimmed down a bit through the legs and thighs. Easy enough.

So I have started working on the stone when I got home from our meet. This is my sketch and photo of the stone and clay maquette.

Tools/Materials
4 sandbags - made from a pair of cut up jeans
1.5 lb. Milani Soft Iron hammer
Steel Chisels from Milani: small & med point,  
                       small & med flat, small 4-tooth
Milani Rasps: 8” - #657, #660, #662, #667, #664
Safety Glasses with 2.5x bifocals
Shock absorbing Veleco fingerless gloves
3M 7093 Double Respirator labeled P100
Aleve – no surprise here
Mario’s Italian White Translucent Alabaster 35lbs.

Blue-Emu Penetrating Gel –
     For my arthritic hands
Clay Maquette of figure
Calipers/dividers
18” Ruler/blue crayon
3M Sandpaper wet/dry: 165-800grit
Kiwi Neutral Paste Wax
Black & Decker Sawhorse
Rubber Floor Pad
Dremel - for tight areas of sanding
Crosscut wood saw
 

No comments:

Post a Comment